GENTRY'S MILL, TX
GENTRY'S MILL, TEXAS. Gentry's Mill, eight miles northwest of Hamilton in north central Hamilton County, was named for Frederick Browder Gentry, who in 1875 settled on Waring Creek and owned a wheat and corn mill there. Later S. C. Terry built a gin nearby. The community had a post office from 1876 to 1895. The population of Gentry's Mill was estimated at seventy-five in 1884 but by 1896 was no longer being recorded. A school survived in the area until 1950. The 1983 county highway map showed a church, a cemetery, and a community hall at Gentry's Mill. In 2000 the population was seventeen.
A History of Hamilton County, Texas (Hamilton, Texas: Hamilton County Historical Commission, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "GENTRY'S MILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrg09), accessed November 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles