FREEMAN, TEXAS. Freeman was a post office community sixteen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County. In 1888 a post office opened there, with Joseph W. Freeman as postmaster. In the early 1890s the settlement had a general store and a number of scattered houses. Its post office closed in 1892, and mail for the community was sent to Caledonia. By the mid-1930s Freeman was no longer shown on county highway maps.
John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).