FIELDS STORE, TX
FIELDS STORE, TEXAS. Fields (Field's) Store is at the junction of Farm roads 1488 and 362, ten miles northeast of Hempstead in northeast Waller County. It existed as early as 1872 and received its name from Andrew Field and his son Druey Holland Field, the first of several Field family members to operate a general store in the area. By 1874 the community had a post office called Field's Store operated by Isaac Newton Jones, Druey's son-in-law. In 1895 the post office dropped the apostrophe from the name. Thirty residents lived in the community during the 1880s; in the next decade the town had a population of 150, three general stores, at least one church, and a physician. In 1905 Fields Store School enrolled 179 students who were instructed by four teachers. A local Masonic lodge existed during the same period, and by 1907 a Woodman of the World chapter had received its charter. A cotton gin also served local farmers.
Fields Store declined when the neighboring communities of Myrtle Grove and Joseph developed gins and opened post offices. The Fields Store post office closed in 1909, and most residents began receiving mail from Waller. During the 1930s sixty-nine students attended primary school at Fields Store; high school students rode the bus to Waller. In 1953 the Fields Store school was consolidated with the Waller schools, where area children still attended school in 1990. The old Fields Store school building, completed in 1923, served as the Fields Store Community House in 1990. Pleasant Hill Masonic Lodge No. 380 still met at the meeting hall in Fields Store, and an active cemetery association continued to raise money from July 4 picnics and an annual rodeo. The picnics served as community reunions. New Hope United Methodist Church continued to hold services in 1973. The Texas Historical Commission has placed markers at the site of the old store and at the cemetery.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Paul M. Lucko, "Fields Store, TX," accessed April 30, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrf49.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles