ELLIOTT'S FERRY, TX
ELLIOTT'S FERRY, TEXAS. Elliott's Ferry, on the east bank of the Sabine River eight miles northeast of Carthage near the site of River Hill, was among the earliest settlements in Panola County. The community, located on the main road between Carthage and Shreveport, grew up around a ferry crossing. The ferry was operated by William K. Elliott, who also owned a tavern in the area. By 1850 the settlement had several stores and houses. Malaria and frequent floods drove most of the residents to River Hill on the bluff above the river, and the site was eventually abandoned.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979). Lawrence R. Sharp, History of Panola County, Texas, to 1860 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "ELLIOTT'S FERRY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrewr), accessed April 21, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.