ESKOTA, TEXAS. Eskota, on Sweetwater Creek in southeastern Fisher County, in 1881 was a shipping point on the Texas and Pacific Railway for Dan and Riley Trent's ranch. The community's post office was established in 1888 and received its name after the "Eskota" rather than the "Trent" station marker sign was delivered. Eskota is a word of Indian derivation. The settlement prospered for a time as the only railroad town in the county. Its two-story hotel served train crews and other travelers. In 1947 Eskota had fifty people, a church, a store, and a section house. By the early 1980s it had one business and was on the Missouri Pacific. The community still existed in 1990.
Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980). E. L. Yeats and E. H. Shelton, History of Fisher County, (n.p.: Feather, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "ESKOTA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hre32), accessed September 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.