ELKTON, TEXAS. Elkton, also known as Ashcraft, was on U.S. Highway 69 just south of Tyler in southwestern Smith County. It was originally part of the Don Thomas Quevado land survey and was called Ashcraft by its earliest settlers. In 1877 the settlement became a station on what later became the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, and in 1889 the community name was changed to Elkton. In 1936 Elkton had a business, a cemetery, and a few scattered farms near a bladed earth road. By 1973 it was no longer identified on county maps, though Cathedral Church was located in the area. In 1990 Elkton was a dispersed rural community.
Donald W. Whisenhunt, comp., Chronological History of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1983). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "ELKTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hre16), accessed May 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.