DAUGHERTY, TX (CULBERSON COUNTY)
DAUGHERTY, TEXAS (Culberson County). Daugherty, also known as the Figure Two Ranch, was a ranching community on State Highway 54 some thirty miles north of Van Horn in western Culberson County. In 1883 the R. P. (Perry) Bean family from Lampasas County settled at the site of what is now the Figure Two Ranch and established the B Ranch; they moved their headquarters in 1885. Several other ranches were established in the area in subsequent years, and in 1900 James M. Daugherty bought one of them, the Black Mountain Cattle Company, and changed its name to Figure Two Ranch. A local post office was established in 1912 with Daugherty as postmaster. Two years later the community had three cattle-breeding businesses: those of James M. Daugherty, F. X. Daugherty, and Young and Daugherty. Although the post office closed in 1927, the Figure Two Ranch survived for decades. In the mid-1970s maps of the area showed a barn and a handful of dwellings, and the ranch was still marked on maps in the late 1980s.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "DAUGHERTY, TX (CULBERSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrdek), accessed October 07, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.