DECROS POINT, TX
DECROS POINT, TEXAS. DeCros Point, also known as DeCrow's Point, Decros or DeCrow's Landing, Port Cavallo, Port Cabello, and Paso Cavallo, was an early coastal community on the western end of Matagorda Peninsula at Cavallo Pass in extreme southern Matagorda County. It was one of several settlements established on the peninsula before the region's recurring hurricanes persuaded the residents to leave. DeCrow's Point, which was probably named after Maine immigrant Daniel D. DeCrow, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred, may have been inhabited as early as the 1820s by members of the seafaring DeCrow family, one of whom had a land grant there. Thomas DeCrow, who with his family settled in the area by 1837 and was a successful stock raiser there, constructed a wharf and also piloted vessels through Pass Cavallo into Matagorda Bay. Mary Ann (Adams) Maverick, who with her husband Samuel Augustus Maverickqqv lived at DeCrow's Point, then also known as Paso Cavallo, from 1844 to 1847, includes her vivid accounts of life at DeCrow's Point and at the Mavericks' farm on the peninsula, Tiltona, in her Memoirs of Mary A. Maverick (1921). In 1847 Samuel Maverick traded several slaves for shares in the DeCrow townsite. A post office called Port Cavallo, or possibly Port Cabello, was established that year and remained open intermittently until 1853. Postal records suggest the site was part of Calhoun County between 1848 and 1852.
By 1854 the peninsula had two of the county's six school districts. From 1848 to the Civil War Pass Cavallo saw its heaviest ship traffic, and in his autobiographical A Texas Cow Boy (first published 1885), peninsula-born Charles A. Siringo writes of the early 1860s landing at "Deckrows Point" of "about five thousand Yankees" headed for the Confederate camp at the mouth of Caney Creek. When the hurricane of 1875, which also wiped out the nearby "German settlement," uprooted Thomas DeCrow's special storm-resistant house, thereby dooming some twenty-two people, it may well have ended the settlement, as no other information on it is available. In 1990 the site retained the name Decros Point.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Rachel Jenkins, "Decros Point, TX," accessed April 30, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd77.
Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles