DUNBAR, TX (MATAGORDA COUNTY)
DUNBAR, TEXAS (Matagorda County). Dunbar was a farming community just west of the Tres Palacios River and a mile north of the Farm Road 521 bridge, six miles northeast of Palacios in southwestern Matagorda County. The community, named for early area landowners, in 1909 received a post office that was probably in postmaster Cora Ifland's store. For a time Dunbar had a two-room schoolhouse, but by at least 1917 the school had moved to nearby Prairie Center, where it served students in eight grades. By 1912 Dunbar had a one-room non-denominational church. Cattle and peaches were among the products Dunbar shipped. Its post office closed in 1913, and around that time Sydney Johnson Hill bought most of the land in the area and eventually moved into the store. Dunbar was not named on the 1936 county highway map.
Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., 1986–88).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Rachel Jenkins, "DUNBAR, TX (MATAGORDA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd76), accessed November 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles