DUNBAR, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
DUNBAR, TEXAS (Smith County). Dunbar was just south of Farm Road 2767 in extreme eastern Smith County. In 1936 the Dunbar school, apparently named for black poet Paul Lawrence Dunbar, had eight teachers and 178 black pupils. The twenty-four school-age white children in the area were not enrolled. The 1936 county highway map also showed a business and a scattered collection of dwellings at the site, while the Mount Zion church and cemetery were just to the east. By 1952 Dunbar's school had been consolidated into the Holts Independent School District. In 1966 Dunbar comprised a school building, the County Line church, and a few farms along four dirt roads. The Chapel Hill system had absorbed the Holts Independent School District by 1969. During the early 1970s the school building, church, and scattered dwellings remained at Dunbar. The community was no longer shown on the 1981 county highway map.
Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969. Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vista K. McCroskey, "DUNBAR, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd69), accessed November 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles