DORRAS, TEXAS. Dorras is on a local road seventeen miles southwest of Aspermont and three miles north of the Fisher county line in extreme southwestern Stonewall County. A Dorras post office, established in Fisher County in 1899 with James W. McWhirter as postmaster, became a Stonewall County post office in 1917. A Dorras school existed from 1914 to 1916 in northern Fisher County and was attended by residents of the Stonewall County settlement. In 1916 the Dorras school was consolidated with the Cactus Flat school in Stonewall County, and in 1927 the district was merged with Dowell in Fisher County. The Dorras post office was discontinued and moved to Rotan in 1928. Dorras reported a population of twenty-five and one business through the 1930s and 1940s. The 1984 county highway map indicated the community but showed no businesses at the site. In 2000 the population was thirty.
Arthur Hecht, comp., Postal History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1960). A History of Stonewall County (Aspermont, Texas: Stonewall County Historical Commission, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "DORRAS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd33), accessed April 16, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.