DESSAU, TEXAS. Dessau, named for a town in Germany, is eleven miles northeast of Austin and two miles southwest of Pflugerville in northeastern Travis County. A post office was in operation there from 1886 to 1890 and from 1897 to 1901, at which time service was discontinued and mail rerouted to Austin. Dessau had a one-teacher school with forty students in 1907; the school was consolidated with the Pflugerville district in 1920. The population of Dessau was estimated at thirty in the late 1890s. It fell to ten by the early 1930s but by the late 1940s had risen to fifty, where it remained through the mid-1960s, after which population estimates were not available. Dessau was still listed as a community in 1990.
John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "DESSAU, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd20), accessed August 05, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.