DAVISVILLE, TEXAS. Davisville is on the Southern Pacific line and Farm Road 2021 where it crosses Mill Creek, about four miles northeast of Lufkin in northern Angelina County. It was named for W. J. and Sarah Davis, early settlers in the Lufkin area. The community consisted of a sawmill and a townsite in the early 1900s. It had a store, commissary, and mill, as well as a station on what was first the Houston, East and West Texas Railway (later the Texas and New Orleans). Taylor Clayton ran the commissary and a general store. The main lumbermill in Davisville was established by the Wright-Jones Lumber Company, although an additional smaller mill was run there by Joe Dunn and associates. In 1910 the population of Davisville was reported as 150. The community had a post office from 1908 to 1921, with William G. Herrington as postmaster in 1908, James S. Smith in 1909, and James H. Clayton from 1910 to 1921. Mail service was transferred to Lufkin in 1921. The community still existed in 1990, but was no longer shown on county highway maps in 2000.
Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976). Archie Birdsong Mathews, The Economic Development of Angelina County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "DAVISVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd12), accessed April 21, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.