DAVENPORT, TX (RED RIVER COUNTY)
DAVENPORT, TEXAS (Red River County). Davenport is on a bend in the Red River eleven miles east of the Lamar county line in north central Red River County. When a community began to form there in the early 1880s, it was often called Jonesboro because it occupied the site of Jonesborough, one of the first settlements in the county. A post office opened in 1885 in James H. Johnson's store, and the community took the name Davenport. In 1890 its population was reported as fifty, but it fell to twenty-five by 1910. The community's post office was closed in 1922. In 1933 its population was estimated at forty-four. By 1984 Davenport consisted of a few widely scattered houses.
Clarksville Standard, June 3, 1881, August 25, 1882.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "DAVENPORT, TX (RED RIVER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrd10), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.