CARUTHERS, TEXAS. Caruthers was near Clawson in west central Angelina County. Around 1900 a logging camp was established at the site and named for an official with the logging company. At one time the Peavy family operated a small sawmill nearby. A post office opened in June 1908 but was suspended in August of the same year. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area.
Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CARUTHERS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrckg), accessed April 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.