CULP, TEXAS. Culp was ten miles west of Hillsboro in west central Hill County, the Cross Timbers section of the county. The site was likely settled during the late nineteenth century by William Myers, Mose Reed, and Cicero Beck. Local mineral-water springs, near which a hotel and bathhouse stood, won for the community a reputation as a health resort. A community school enrolled sixty students and employed one teacher during the 1905–06 school year. Though a post office operated locally from 1892 until sometime after 1930, Culp reported no population or business statistics during the twentieth century. The site was inundated by Aquilla Lake in the 1970s, though a church belonging to the community was still standing in 1990.
Hill County Historical Commission, A History of Hill County, Texas, 1853–1980 (Waco: Texian, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "CULP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcea), accessed April 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.