COONVILLE, TEXAS. Coonville is on Farm Road 2694 two miles east of Shelbyville in southeastern Shelby County. The area was originally occupied by plantations. The Carroll Colored Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in the late 1870s on land owned by Thomas and John Carroll. During the early years of the twentieth century the community also had a school, which in 1903 enrolled twenty-eight children. In 1983 Coonville had the church and scattered houses.
Charles E. Tatum, Shelby County: In the East Texas Hills (Austin: Eakin, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "COONVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcby), accessed May 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.