CANYON, TX (LUBBOCK COUNTY)
CANYON, TEXAS (Lubbock County). Canyon is at the intersection of Farm roads 1729 and 40, six miles east of Lubbock in east central Lubbock County. It was the site of a school built during the 1890s, when the community was a meetingplace for a small congregation of the Church of Christ. At various times the settlement was also known as Canyon School or Wheelock. Canyon became a county rural school district in the 1920s but was consolidated with the similar districts of McClung and Acuff in 1935 to form the Roosevelt Rural School District. The settlement survived in the mid-1980s as a small farming community with no reported businesses. In 1990 and again in 2000 Canyon had an estimated population of forty.
Virginia Hufstedler, A Study of the Activities of the Church of Christ in Lubbock County from 1890 to 1925 (M.A. thesis, Texas Technological College, 1933). Mary Louise McDonald, The History of Lubbock County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1942).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "CANYON, TX (LUBBOCK COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcbl), accessed July 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.