CAP ROCK, TX
CAP ROCK, TEXAS. Cap Rock is at the edge of the Caprock on State Highway 207, twenty-seven miles east of Lubbock in Crosby County. It was established in 1925 after ranchlands were broken up for farming use. On March 8, 1929, the Cap Rock school district, originally named Plum Creek School, was established under the jurisdiction of the Robertson school district. Grades one through seven were taught in a one-room building with Estelle Griffin as the first teacher. A grade school remained in operation at Cap Rock until August 23, 1960, when the district was consolidated with Ralls Independent School District. Leading pioneers include C. H. Graham, who donated land for the school; Lawrence Teston, owner of the first store; and John Wheeler, who gave land for the construction of the first gin. Cap Rock was still listed as a community in 1990. In 2000 the population was twenty-five.
Crosby County Pioneer Memorial Museum, A History of Crosby County, 1876–1977 (Dallas: Taylor, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Edloe A. Jenkins, "CAP ROCK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcbh), accessed November 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles