CYPRESS MILL, TX
CYPRESS MILL, TEXAS. Cypress Mill is on Farm Road 962 thirteen miles northeast of Johnson City in northeastern Blanco County. A mill was constructed at the site on Cypress Creek in the late 1860s. The community that developed there was at first called Fuchs' Mill for Wilhelm Fuchs and his family, early owners of the mill. The name Cypress Mill came into use after a post office opened in 1874. By the mid-1880s the community had grist and saw mills, a cotton gin, and 130 residents. The principal shipments made by area farmers were cotton, cattle, and wool. Cypress Mill reached a peak population of 200 around 1900 but began to decline soon thereafter, and by the early 1940s its population had fallen to thirty. Its population rose to sixty by the late 1940s, and several houses and a business marked the community on county highway maps. The community's population was reported at seventy-six in 1970 and at fifty-six from 1980 through 2000. The Cypress Mill post office was discontinued in the late 1980s.
Blanco County News, Heritage of Blanco County (Dallas: Curtis Media Corporation, 1987).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "CYPRESS MILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcbf), accessed November 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles