CROTON, TEXAS. Croton is on Farm Road 2470 and a branch of Little Croton Creek, eight miles northeast of Dickens in north central Dickens County. The settlement, originally named Frankfort, was established around 1888 and served as a community center for the surrounding area. Many of the settlers were employed by the nearby Matador and Pitchfork ranches.qqv In the first county seat election in March 1891 Frankfort was one of three sites on the ballot. Although no town received enough votes to be declared the winner, Frankfort withdrew from the race. A school was built there in 1892 and named Noview for a grove of cottonwood trees. Later the community name was changed to Croton Flat, presumably for nearby Croton Creek. By 1922 residents had built a new two-story school that served as a community center, church, and voting station. In 1933 the school was consolidated with the Patton Springs school, several miles northwest of Croton. Croton was reported to have two stores and 100 residents in 1948. One store and a Baptist church were still in operation by the early 1970s. In the 1980s Croton appeared on county maps, but no businesses were indicated. The 2000 population was five.
Fred Arrington, A History of Dickens County: Ranches and Rolling Plains (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "CROTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrcap), accessed May 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.