CHAUTAUQUA, TEXAS. Chautauqua was on the Texas and Pacific Railway, five miles east of Baird in northeast Callahan County. The town was established around 1900 and by 1915 had a population of 125. A post office was opened on July 23, 1907, with William T. White as postmaster. It was discontinued on April 30, 1914. By 1936 Chautauqua was not marked on maps.
Brutus Clay Chrisman, Early Days in Callahan County (Abilene, Texas: Abilene Printing and Stationery, 1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John G. Johnson, "CHAUTAUQUA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc46), accessed May 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.