CARPENTER, TEXAS. Carpenter, on Farm Road 1346 eight miles north of Floresville in northern Wilson County, was established in 1893, when the San Antonio and Gulf Railway crossed eastern Wilson County. The settlement, named for a local landowner, had a population of ten in 1900. Joseph Winkler became postmaster when a post office was granted that year and established a cotton gin, a general store, and a saloon in the early 1900s. By 1914 Carpenter had a blacksmith, two general stores, a saloon, a cotton gin, and a reported 100 residents. The post office was discontinued in 1928 and the mail sent to Adkins. In 1947 Carpenter had one store and a population of 100. Subsequently, the population declined, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "CARPENTER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrc26), accessed May 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.