BYFIELD, TEXAS. Byfield, just off Farm Road 1971 sixteen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County, was established after the Civil War. A school began operating there around 1900, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of sixty-two. In the mid-1930s the community had a school, a church, and a number of houses. After World War II the school was consolidated with the Carthage schools, and by the mid-1960s only a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses remained in the area. In the early 1990s Byfield was a dispersed rural community.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BYFIELD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbtv), accessed April 21, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.