BIRDSTON, TEXAS. Birdston was on Farm Road 416 two miles northeast of Streetman in extreme south central Navarro County. It was probably established before the Civil War. In 1866 a Birdston post office opened, and by 1885 the town had two steam gristmill and cotton gin combinations, a sawmill, five churches, and a public school. The estimated population in 1892 was 250. After 1900 the town began to decline; many residents moved to Streetman, on the railroad. In 1909 the Birdston post office closed, and by the mid-1930s the community no longer appeared on highway maps. In 1990 the former townsite was marked only by a cemetery and a few scattered houses.
Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BIRDSTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrbeh), accessed June 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.