BUTTERCUP, TEXAS. Buttercup (also called Doddville and Dodd's Store) was on Buttercup Creek just south of Cedar Park in southwest Williamson County. Its site now lies under a reservoir beside U.S. Highway 183. The community, situated on the old road from Bagdad to Austin, throve in the 1870s and 1880s. In 1878 Buttercup had a store, a church, a school, a gin, a mill, and two doctors. A post office was located there from 1880 to 1894, except for a two-year interruption (1882–83). The only extant population figure for Buttercup dates from 1892, when the community had forty inhabitants.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "BUTTERCUP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb87), accessed August 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.