BURGESS, TEXAS. Burgess is on the Little River twelve miles southeast of Belton in southeastern Bell County. The community had a post office from 1894 to 1904 and twenty inhabitants in 1896. Nearby Reed's Lake School enrolled thirty-five pupils in 1903. In 1940 Burgess had a population of twenty-five and one business establishment. By 1964 the site was no longer identified on the topographical map, though there were several scattered dwellings there and the population was reported as fifteen.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "BURGESS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb65), accessed April 17, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.