BUNNS BLUFF, TX
BUNNS BLUFF, TEXAS. Bunns Bluff is on the east bank of the Neches River in extreme western Orange County four miles from Beaumont. The bluff was probably named for Joseph Bunn, who owned the land title there and secured a post office in 1854. Although the Bunns Bluff post office was originally in Jefferson County, it was soon transferred to Orange County. Shortly after the Civil War, Bunns Bluff was a destination point for shingles rafted down the Neches River. In 1880 the community had some thirty residents. Its post office was discontinued in 1900, and land at the bluff was purchased by the Beaumont Water Works in 1917. The Wiess and Bunns canals marked the site in 1974.
James E. Johnson, An Economic History of Orange County, Texas, Prior to 1940 (M.A. thesis, Lamar State College of Technology, 1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "BUNNS BLUFF, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrb64), accessed May 23, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.