ALCO, TEXAS. Alco was on the Angelina and Neches River Railroad ten miles northeast of Lufkin in northeastern Angelina County. The settlement became a flag station around 1911 after the railroad was built from Keltys through the area. By the 1930s Alco had a sawmill, a school, and a number of houses. Around the time of World War II the sawmill closed, and the site was abandoned. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "ALCO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hravf), accessed March 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.