ARMOUR, TEXAS. Armour, also known as Sandy Creek, was on State Highway 171 twelve miles northwest of Mexia in northern Limestone County. The site was laid out in 1882 by James Armour, and when the post office was established in 1883, it was named in his honor. In 1884 the community had two churches, a district school, two steam gristmills, and sixty residents. Population estimates rose to 100 in 1890, but fell to fifty by 1896. In 1903 the Trinity and Brazos Valley Railway Company began laying track between Hillsboro and Mexia, but missed Armour by about a mile. The railroad established a new town called Coolidge. The Armour post office closed later that year, and residents moved their homes and businesses from Armour to the new town.
John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "ARMOUR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hraer), accessed May 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.