AVONDALE, TEXAS. Avondale is sixteen miles northwest of Fort Worth at the intersection of U.S. Highway 287 and Farm Road 718 in northwestern Tarrant County. Its founding was associated with the extension of the tracks of the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway through the area in 1882. Rail officials surveyed and platted the townsite, which they named for its attractive location, and a village soon developed there. A post office opened in 1890. By 1910 it had a population of eighteen, and its school registered forty-six students and employed one teacher. In 1920 State Highway 81 bypassed the settlement, and the post office and the last store closed. The railroad depot closed in 1924. A 1936 map shows scattered dwellings and one business, and a 1976 highway map shows Avondale as a sparsely populated rural community.
Image Use Disclaimer
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.