ASH, TEXAS. Ash, a farming community sixteen miles southwest of Crockett on Farm Road 1280 in southwestern Houston County, was founded in 1870 and named for James B. Ash, a community leader. A post office opened there in 1890, and by 1896 the community had a gristmill-gin and general store. An Ash school that began operating around the same time had an enrollment of fifty-eight in 1897. Although the post office closed in 1909, in the mid-1930s the town still had a church, two stores, and a number of houses; the estimated population in 1936 was ten. After World War II the stores closed, and by the early 1970s only a church and a number of scattered houses remained. In the early 1990s Ash was a dispersed rural community for which no population estimates were available. In 2000, however, the population was nineteen.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "ASH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra57), accessed August 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.