ALMONT, TEXAS. Almont, twelve miles north of DeKalb in northwestern Bowie County, was named for Almont Hill, where the first houses were built. A post office was opened there in 1893 with Edwin Thompson as postmaster. In 1896 the settlement had a population of twenty-five. The post office was closed in 1904. In 1984 Almont consisted of a church, a business, and a few scattered houses.
J. J. Scheffelin, Bowie County Basic Background Book.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "ALMONT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra28), accessed April 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.