ADVANCE, TEXAS. Advance is a dispersed rural community near Farm Road 1885 sixteen miles northwest of Weatherford in northwest Parker County. In 1890 B. B. Barton, of Denton County, moved to Adell in Parker County. Four years later he opened a general store four miles northwest of Adell and encouraged Adell residents to move to his new community, which he named Advance. Postal service began in 1894. A cotton gin was erected, and by the late 1890s the new community had twenty residents. Postal service was discontinued in 1906.
Gustavus Adolphus Holland, History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin (Weatherford, Texas: Herald, 1931; rpt. 1937).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "ADVANCE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra12), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.