ADDRAN, TEXAS. Addran (Add Ran) is near State highways 19 and 154 ten miles north of Sulphur Springs in north central Hopkins County. The area was first settled in the late 1850s. The community was later named by a minister who had attended Add-Ran College. A post office opened there in 1890 but closed in 1906. A local Baptist church, organized in 1915, continued to hold services until 1948. In the mid-1930s the community had a school, two churches, one business, and a number of scattered dwellings. The population reached a peak of thirty-one in 1933. Thereafter it was consistently reported at twenty-five until the mid-1970s. The school was consolidated with North Hopkins High School, and the churches and business closed. In the late 1980s a few scattered farmhouses remained. In 2000 the site of Addran was just south of Cooper Lake and just outside the boundaries of Cooper Lake State Park and a wildlife management area. Aiguier Cemetery, named for original land grant holder Ulysses Aiguier, was the main historic connection to the defunct community. No population figures were available.
Hopkins County Historical Commission, Hopkins County Pictorial History (2 vols., Sulphur Springs, Texas: Hopkins County Historical Society, 1987). Laurie E. Jasinski, "The Hunt, the Harvest, and the Hoedown: A History of Cooper Lake State Park" (unpublished report, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, Cultural Resources Program, Austin, 2004).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "ADDRAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hra08), accessed April 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.