WOOD HI, TX
WOOD HI, TEXAS. Wood Hi, on Farm Road 1686 between Telferner and DaCosta in eastern Victoria County, is named for William A. Wood, upon whose ranch the community developed. Wood, the brother of Tobias D. Wood, a well-known rancher in Victoria and Refugio counties, was married to Nellie Borland Wood-Kreisle, a prominent Victoria clubwoman and civic leader. In 1918 an eight-grade rural common school was built upon land William Wood had donated. A new structure was erected in 1951. By 1963 Wood Hi had a cooperative gin, a grocery store, the school, and a dozen farm homes. The community serves an area rich in oil and gas, livestock, corn, cotton, and grains. In 1985 through 2000 its population was thirty-five. William Wood Elementary School is now part of Victoria Independent School District.
Roy Grimes, ed., 300 Years in Victoria County (Victoria, Texas: Victoria Advocate, 1968; rpt., Austin: Nortex, 1985). Victoria Advocate, Progress Edition, March 10, 1963.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Craig H. Roell, "WOOD HI, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw66), accessed October 10, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.