WOMACK, TEXAS. Womack is on Farm Road 219 five miles northeast of Clifton and thirty miles northwest of Waco in southeastern Bosque County. It was founded on the James Smith survey, which was deeded to James Pinckney Henderson on March 8, 1852. A post office was established in the German community in Hugh S. Anderson's general store on January 8, 1880, and designated Womack the next month. The post office was discontinued in 1906. Worship services and school lessons were originally held in German. In the 1920s it was not uncommon to find a child exposed to English for the first time at school. The estimated population was forty in 1939, twenty in 1949, and twenty-five in 1974 through 2000.
Bosque County History Book Committee, Bosque County, Texas, Land and People: History of Bosque County, Texas (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1985). William C. Pool, Bosque Territory (Kyle, Texas: Chaparral, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Karen Yancy, "WOMACK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw57), accessed May 23, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.