WIZARD WELLS, TX
WIZARD WELLS, TEXAS. Wizard Wells is on Farm Road 1156 thirteen miles east of Jacksboro in east central Jack County. Originally the community was known as Old Vineyard because much of the land was owned by a G. W. Vineyard. Legend has it that in the 1880s Vineyard discovered that the waters from the springs on his land cured the ulcers on his legs. Settlers then renamed the growing community Wizard Wells because of the supposed miracle cure. Throughout its history Wizard Wells has served as a community center and retail point for area farmers. From the 1920s until the 1940s the town's population hovered near 175. Beginning in the 1950s the number of residents of Wizard Wells declined slightly. In 1986 through 2000 the community had an estimated sixty-nine residents.
Thomas F. Horton, History of Jack County (Jacksboro, Texas: Gazette Print, 193-?). Ida Lasater Huckabay, Ninety-Four Years in Jack County (Austin: Steck, 1949; centennial ed., Waco: Texian Press, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "WIZARD WELLS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw55), accessed October 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.