WHITSON, TEXAS. Whitson is twenty miles southeast of Gatesville in the eastern corner of Coryell County. It was named for Numa M. Whitson, who moved to Coryell County in the mid-1870s. A post office began operation at Whitson in 1891, but it was discontinued in 1901, and mail for residents was sent to Moody in McLennan County. At one time Whitson had two cotton gins and a general store. The community reported a population of forty-two from the 1930s through the 1960s and thirty from the 1970s through 2000.
Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986). Frank E. Simmons, History of Coryell County (Gatesville, Texas: Coryell County News, 1936).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "WHITSON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw45), accessed April 19, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.