WEBBERVILLE, TEXAS. Webberville is on Farm Road 969 fifteen miles east of Austin in eastern Travis County. The post office, which was established in 1846, was named Webber's Prairie in honor of John F. Webber, who received a land grant in the area in 1832, but it was sometimes referred to as Smithwick's, for Noah Smithwick, who served as the first postmaster. The name was changed to Webberville in 1853. By the mid-1880s Webberville had steam gristmills and cotton gins, two churches, a school, four general stores, and 200 residents; cotton and livestock were the principal commodities shipped from the area. In 1900 the population was reported at 382. The post office at Webberville was discontinued in 1903, and mail for the community was sent to Manor. The Webberville schools were consolidated with the Hornsby-Dunlap common school district in 1951. The population of the community was estimated at fifty from the 1940s through 2000.
John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "WEBBERVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw30), accessed August 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.