WAMBA, TEXAS. Wamba, near the Red River five miles northwest of Texarkana in eastern Bowie County, is in an area that was occupied by squatters as early as the 1830s but not actually settled before the 1850s. A post office opened in 1897 with Laurel B. Fort as postmaster and was discontinued in 1916. The population of Wamba was reported as fifty in 1910 and as forty in 1940. In 1982 through 2000 Wamba had a population of seventy and no rated businesses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "WAMBA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnw15), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.