WAKETON, TEXAS. Waketon was twelve miles south of Denton in Denton County and was originally part of the Chinn's Chapel settlement. The settlement was established in 1853 by Elisha Chinn in an area that had supported settlers since 1845. It consisted of three small communities-Shiloh, Bartonville, and Waketon. Waketon was named for Simpson Wakefield, a farmer from Tennessee. The community existed for just under 100 years. By the late 1940s Waketon's twenty residents could no longer support the town, and by 1950 it had ceased to exist.