SPRINGDALE, TEXAS. Springdale is on Farm Road 2327 five miles northeast of Queen City in northeastern Cass County. It was originally called Forest Home when it was settled, probably in the late 1840s. A post office was established in January 1850 with John W. Moore as postmaster, discontinued after the Civil War, and reestablished in May 1877. The name of the post office was changed to Springdale in February 1879 and back to Forest Home the next month. In April 1883 the office was once again designated Springdale, and it retained that name until it was closed in 1938. In 1884 the town, at the time in a heavily wooded area, had three sawmills and a population of seventy-five. From then until the 1960s population estimates for the community varied between a low of fifty and a high of seventy-five. In 1983 the community had a church, a cemetery, two small businesses, and a population estimated at thirty, where it remained in 1990. In 2000 the population was fifty-five.
Wright Patman, History of Post Offices-First Congressional District of Texas (Texarkana, Texas, 1946?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "SPRINGDALE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns71), accessed May 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.