SELDEN, TEXAS. Selden, on Farm Road 913 nine miles southeast of Stephenville in southeast Erath County, was named for John M. Selden and the ranch he established in 1855. A church, established in 1881, was called Sims Creek Church. H. Mosely was the first postmaster when the post office was established in 1890. By 1900 the population was ninety-two; it declined to twenty-five by 1910. In 1915 Selden lost its post office. In 1947 the town had sixty residents, two stores, a church, and a school. The population was seventy-one in 1980 and 1990. By 2000 the population had dropped to seven.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SELDEN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns31), accessed May 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.