SECURITY, TEXAS. Security was on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway thirteen miles east of Conroe in eastern Montgomery County. Although settlement in the vicinity began in the mid-nineteenth century, Security was not formed until after 1889, when the GC&SF completed its branch line from Conroe to Cleveland across eastern Montgomery County. Around 1900 a lumber boom in this heavily wooded region brought an influx of settlers. By 1900 the community had a post office known as Pocahontas. In 1902 the name was changed to Bennette, in honor of J. O. H. Bennette, on whose property the town developed. Bennette sold his holdings to the Security Land Company in 1907, and the post office closed. In 1910 a new post office was established under the name Security.
In 1914 the schools at nearby Timber and White Oak were consolidated into the Security common school. By that date the community had a depot, a sawmill, a cotton gin, two gristmills, two grocery stores, a general store, a hotel, and a population of 150. In the late 1920s the Security school was merged into the Splendora Consolidated School District.
During the 1920s the local timber supply started to dwindle; soon the mill was forced to close, and the town declined. By the late 1920s the population had fallen to an estimated 100. When State Highway 105 bypassed the town in the early 1940s, most remaining residents moved two miles northward to the roadway. The Security post office was discontinued in 1954. Subsequently only a handful of scattered dwellings, the Calvary Church, and the Security Cemetery remained within a mile of the Security siding on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe tracks.
In the late 1940s the new community, established on Highway 105 by former residents of the old town and known as Security or as New Security, reported a population of twenty. From the late 1960s through 2000 its population remained an estimated twenty-four.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Charles Christopher Jackson, "Security, TX," accessed April 30, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns28.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles