SANDY HILL, TX
SANDY HILL, TEXAS. Sandy Hill is on Sandy Hill Road and Farm Road 2621 near its junction with Farm Road 50, nine miles west of the Brazos River and eight miles northeast of Brenham in northeastern Washington County. A hill, with an elevation of 343 feet, lies on Hardeman Branch near Little Rocky Creek. The community was founded by German immigrants and developed in the early twentieth century. St. Matthew's Lutheran Church was organized in 1907 and constructed its current church building in 1915. In 1912 it joined the Texas Synod. The population of Sandy Hill recovered from a Great Depression low of ten in 1936 to an estimated fifty by 1945. It remained fifty through 2000. The community's main economic activity is ranching.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carole E. Christian, "SANDY HILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns15), accessed May 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.