SAND, TX (DAWSON COUNTY)
SAND, TEXAS (Dawson County). Sand, on U.S. Highway 180 fifteen miles west of Lamesa in west central Dawson County, derived its name from its location in an area once called the Sands of Texas. A post office was established in 1935 in Ebbie Lee's store, with Lee as postmaster. In 1949 the store and post office served a population of fifty. The post office became a substation to the Lamesa post office in 1955. The population was twenty in 1980 and 1990.
Mathew Clay Lindsey, The Trail of Years in Dawson County (Fort Worth: Wallace, 1958?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SAND, TX (DAWSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hns13), accessed May 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.