ROCKY CREEK, TX
ROCKY CREEK, TEXAS. Rocky Creek is a small farming community located on U.S. Highway 290 about eight miles southwest of Johnson City in west central Blanco County. Named for a nearby creek, the settlement began in the 1880s and is also known as simply Rocky. The Rocky Community Cemetery began by 1880, and residents built a schoolhouse by the late 1880s. The school was shown on highway maps during the 1930s. After the school closed, the building was gradually restored and used for church services as the Rocky Community Church. Citizens organized the Rocky Community Cemetery Association in 1973 to promote the maintenance and preservation of the historic graveyard. In 2000 Rocky Creek had a population of twenty and consisted of a number of family farms in the area. The old school served as a community center. The community of Rocky Creek was also associated with Pleasant Hill, which was a neighboring country school, and the area is often referred to as Rocky-Pleasant Hill.
Blanco County News, Heritage of Blanco County (Dallas: Curtis Media Corporation, 1987).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "ROCKY CREEK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr66), accessed August 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.