RYLIE, TEXAS. Rylie was at the intersection of Loop 635 and Rylie Road, between State highways 175 and 20 on the Southern Pacific line eleven miles southeast of Dallas in southeastern Dallas County. It was on the original land grant of J. R. Rylie, who as early as 1855 had settled in the area. By the 1870s the community had been established. The Texas Trunk line was completed through Rylie in 1881, and in 1883 the community secured a post office; this office was discontinued after 1930. By 1885 Rylie was a shipping point for cordwood and cotton and had a general store, a school, two churches, and a population of twenty-five. At that time H. B. Cox was the postmaster and railroad agent. Five years later the community reported a population of fifty. By 1914 Rylie had sixty-four residents, a general store, and telephone service, but by 1925 the number of residents had dropped to thirty. In 1930 Rylie moved from its original site on the railroad to a new location a quarter mile northeast on State Highway 175. By the late 1940s the community had grown to eight businesses and a population of 180. This growth continued well into the 1960s as Rylie developed into a suburb of Dallas. In 1965, the last year the community was listed in the Texas Almanac, its population was reported as 950. Rylie was still labeled on the 1981 county highway map.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Matthew Hayes Nall, "RYLIE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr58), accessed May 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.