ROCKWOOD, TEXAS. Rockwood is on U.S. Highway 283 and Camp Creek, four miles north of the Colorado River and twenty-three miles south of Coleman in southern Coleman County. Although the area was reportedly known as the Camp Creek community during the early 1870s, the town began in the early 1880s when Lee Shields established a store on the stream. One branch of the Chisholm Trail turned northwest at the site. A post office was established in 1889 in the home of H. L. and Sallie Faulk and was named Discord by Jim Foreman after a disagreement over a town name. It changed its name to Rockwood in January 1890, possibly in honor of local resident Adolph Wood, who later became postmaster. Another story suggests that Wood himself changed the town's name. In 1890 the community had a corn mill and gin, a general store, a blacksmith, a carpenter, and an estimated population of twenty-five. The discovery of coal near the Colorado River between 1890 and 1892 brought a boom. The town was shifted from the north to the south side of Camp Creek in 1892, when its population was seventy-five. By 1914 Rockwood had 100 residents, three general stores, and a cotton gin; however, the coal-mining company functioning in 1892 apparently was no longer in operation. By 1925 Rockwood had a population estimated at 200. In 1931 it had fifteen businesses and in 1933 eight. Although population estimates remained at 200 between 1933 and 1963, the number of businesses fluctuated before finally stabilizing at four. A school was in operation as early as 1926 and was closed in 1955. From 1970 through 2000 the population was estimated at eighty. Although the post office remained in operation, no businesses were reported in Rockwood after 1983.
Gladys N. Hunter, Discord, Texas, on Camp Creek (San Angelo: Anchor, 1976). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Patricia L. Duncan, "ROCKWOOD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr37), accessed February 11, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles